Virtual Internship in China and Hong Kong
Build your professional skills to help grow your career and open doors through an intercultural virtual internship in your chosen field! Placements available in a wide range of disciplines from 4 to 12 weeks with flexible start dates.
This is a perfect opportunity to work on your career goals and specific interests! With the use of modern technology, virtual internships allow students and graduates to work remotely and gain relevant industry experience with an international company. Virtual interns are provided with a unique opportunity to gain practical skills, industry connections and business experience without leaving home.
Through this program, you can expect to gain practical skills in your area of study and really boost your resume with work experience at a company based in China or Hong Kong. This program is perfect for students who want to gain professional experience, work with an intercultural team, connect with Chinese or Hongkongers culture and who are looking for a lower cost (and environmentally friendly!) program option.
Your virtual internship will be primarily project-based, with either one larger project over the course of the internship or several smaller ongoing assignments. Regardless of how many you undertake, each project will be substantive and you can be sure you are contributing to the business in a meaningful way. While this program allows for flexibility and independence, you will also have plenty of guidance and support from a designated supervisor.
We are committed to finding each virtual intern a professional placement that matches your career ambitions and goals to make sure your resulting resume stands out.
Here are some perks and benefits of this program:
- Build your resume with experience at an international company.
- Develop your skills working with a cross-cultural team from China or Hong Kong and around the world while learning ways to do business in a different cultural setting.
- Gain professional, practical experience in a project-based placement in your chosen field to meet your academic and professional goals. Our internship placements are customised, diverse and cater for a range of interests.
- Enjoy flexibility with your working hours to suit your schedule.
- Have independence and autonomy balanced with ongoing support from a dedicated supervisor.
- Enhance and develop your communication skills, as well as time management, problem solving, creative and digital skills.
- Receive weekly newsletters including cultural topics and tips, plus information on professional and personal development.
- Participate in a Cultural Workshop Series.
- Complete your virtual placement from any location in the world, allowing for flexible hours and a lower cost option by saving on flights, visa fees, insurance and accommodation.
The specific schedule for each intern and placement will vary. Below is an example of what to expect:
- Day 1 (Monday): Placement begins. Meet with staff and supervisor to set out expectations and tasks for your project(s).
- Ongoing: Work will primarily be done independently with ongoing support and check-in meetings with your supervisor. Virtual interns may be included in company and staff meetings (where applicable) to observe, listen and learn. Interns should expect to work from 20-35 hours per week depending on the company, the project(s) and what has been mutually agreed in writing prior to your placement between the student and company supervisor. Ultimately, the placement will be project-focused so “clocking in/out” is less important than with a traditional internship.
- Weekly: Cultural Immersion Workshops (1 hour) with established discussion guide and associated questions on key topics (for example: work-life culture, food / eating, transport, history, geography, early society, cultural challenges, religion, weather, family and friendships, traditions and major holidays, language, health care systems, politics).
- Upon completion: Exit interview and evaluation.
Virtual internship placements are professional, well organised and students accepted in the program should be highly focused and ready to act in an equally professional business manner. Each intern will have a direct company supervisor who will be middle management or higher and act as a coach and mentor. They will speak English and provide ongoing feedback, direction, insight into the company and their role, and support the overall virtual experience.
We have a comprehensive range of internships available, all designed to meet the needs of your academic career. Choose from the following industries*:
Arts and Design
- Event Planning/Management
- Human Resources Management
- International Business
- Real Estate
- Sports Management
- Entertainment & Film
- Public Relations
Science, Technology, Engineering, Math
- Environmental Science
- Information Technology & Services
Social Science and Humanities
- Human Relations
*Please note: Due to changing business conditions and needs of local businesses, we cannot guarantee that all these virtual internship placements will be available. If there is interest outside of these areas, please contact us and our Program Advisors will help you find an internship that meets your needs. Our custom placements are designed to fulfil your professional and academic goals and our team works hard to match you with your preferred customised internship placement.
Virtual internships are project-based. While each internship is unique, here are some examples of tasks that may apply:
- Business Development – Help the company to make decisions based on data, research and analysis. Develop methods to increase the value of current customers while attracting new ones.
- Research Projects – Carry out research projects within the industry of the company, identifying key players and searching for new sales opportunities.
- Operations – Understand the daily tasks of a company and focus on improving the processes in place to maximise efficiency.
- Administration – Create spreadsheets, prepare presentations, arrange meetings and manage databases.
- Content Creation – Improve your communication skills while updating websites, blogging, writing articles, or working on visual content through photography, photo editing, videography, graphic design, etc.
- Social Media – Create Social Media calendars, edit and post content on different platforms, engage the community and find new leads and influencers.
- Finance – Research on funds and investors, creation of financial plans and practices for startups
- Competitor Analysis – Research competitors from the industry or in other regions to determine if your company is performing at the level of the competition, staying on the cutting edge of new product development, and determine the competition’s capabilities and positioning.
Check out some of the current position openings on the Virtual Internship Job Board.
If you don’t see a position that matches your interests and goals, submit an enquiry and our highly qualified Program Advisors will help customise an internship for you that meets your professional and personal ambitions.
This is the best of both worlds! While you aren’t physically going to China or Hong Kong, this program allows you to get a career-based experience in your chosen field to boost your professional development, plus get introduced to the culture from the comfort of your home.
Most companies who host a virtual intern on this program are based in Shanghai or Hong Kong. Shanghai is a modern, vibrant city mixed with history and culture. It is an international city that melts various cultures, religions and languages from around the world. In the last two decades, Shanghai has been one of the fastest developing cities in the world – with a recorded double-digit growth almost every year – and is popularly seen as the birthplace of everything considered modern in China. It is now one of the world’s largest economic and international trading hubs and is positioned as a world business powerhouse. Shanghai is the largest city in China, and plays a vital economic, commercial and financial role in the country’s future.
Hong Kong, a former British Colony and once occupied by Japan, is the world’s most visited city and fourth most densely populated sovereign state or territory. HK boasts a competitive global work environment and is ranked one of the most developed economies in the world. The city has the greatest concentrations of corporate headquarters in the Asia-Pacfic region. The fantastic reputation of the city will benefit your experience and future career.
Program Fee & Dates
|Virtual Internship in China or Hong Kong|
|Application deadline is 4 to 8 weeks prior to commencement. Internships available for 4 to 8 weeks. Placements up to 12 weeks are available upon request for an additional weekly fee. Flexible start dates available. See the "More" info box for further details.|
|Application Fee||A$ 95|
|Program Fee||A$ 2,199|
Program fees include the following:
- Internship placement and supervision
- CISaustralia support services before, during and after the program
- Preparation guide and session
- Cultural workshops
- Weekly newsletters including cultural topics, tips and information on professional and personal development
- CISaustralia Certificate of Participation (available on request)
- Final evaluation provided by your supervisor
- 10% GST
What is not included:
- Program application fee
Note: Interns must have access to a personal computer and a reliable internet connection. Must be available to be online during China or HK working hours for bi-weekly check-ins (twice per week) with your supervisor (mornings or evenings as mutually agreed in advance).
Please note that no internship placement is ever guaranteed, even after acceptance into the program. CISaustralia is in constant communication with each candidate providing ongoing updates on final placement confirmation and associated organisational opportunities.
CISaustralia reserves the right to alter fees at any time due to currency fluctuations and/or fee changes made by our partners.
Note: 10% GST is applicable on all virtual internship placements.