OS-HELP is a generous Australian Government Loan scheme that allows eligible Australian university students to access up to A$9,567 to study overseas (2021 amounts). The OS-HELP loan is applied to the student’s HECS and standard conditions apply. Like HECS-HELP, OS-HELP is interest-free and fee-free. Students should visit the Australian Government Study Assist website for more information about HECS-HELP and OS-HELP, or contact CISaustralia.
CISaustralia programs are designed to meet key OS-HELP criteria. Upon program application, your Program Advisor will help you through the process of applying for and receiving OS-HELP.
Please note that Virtual Internship placements are not eligible for OS-HELP funding.
- OS-HELP is a loan available to eligible undergraduate and postgraduate students enrolled in a Commonwealth supported place who want to undertake some of their study overseas.
- Students can access up to $8,444 for studies within Asia, and an additional $1,123 if students undertake Asian language studies in preparation for studies in Asia.
- Students can access up to $7,037 for studies outside of Asia, e.g. USA, Europe, South America, Africa, etc.
- Ultimately, the amount students can borrow using an OS-HELP loan is determined by their university in accordance with the OS-HELP policy.
- OS-HELP can be used for a range of expenses such as airfare, accommodation and other travel or study expenses.
- Students may receive one loan per six-month study period and can access a total of two OS-HELP loans over their lifetime.
- The type of overseas study for which you may be able to receive OS-HELP assistance could include semester, short-course study programs, clinical placements and internships.
OS-HELP eligibility requirements can be updated from time to time by the Australian Government, so it is recommended students refer to the Study Assist website or the 2021 OS-HELP Booklet for a comprehensive guide to OS-HELP. Generally students would normally be eligible for OS-HELP if they meet the following requirements:
- you are an Australian citizen or permanent humanitarian visa holder
- you are enrolled with an Australian provider (university) as a Commonwealth supported student and have completed one equivalent full-time student load, which is usually one year of full-time study
- you are enrolled in an undergraduate or postgraduate course with an Australian university
- your overseas program counts as academic credit towards your current enrolled course requirements
- you will have one course of study left to complete (back in Australia) once you have finished your overseas program
- you have a tax file number (TFN) or provide a ‘Certificate of Application for a TFN’
How to Apply
You must apply to your higher education provider for an OS-HELP loan. Each university runs its own application and selection process. Students should contact CISaustralia or their university’s International Office for more detailed information on OS-HELP.