In 2023, 95% of all CISaustralia programs were completely funded by OS-Help!

OS-HELP is a generous Australian Government Loan scheme that allows eligible Australian university students to access up to A$10,767 to study overseas (2024 amounts). The OS-HELP loan is applied to the student’s HECS and standard conditions apply. Like HECS-HELP, OS-HELP is interest-free and fee-free. Students should visit the Australian Government Study Assist website for more information about HECS-HELP and OS-HELP, or contact CISaustralia.

CISaustralia programs are designed to meet key OS-HELP criteria. Upon program application, your Program Advisor will help you through the process of applying for and receiving OS-HELP.

Please note that Virtual Internship placements and Volunteer Australia programs are not eligible for OS-HELP funding.

Check out our informational video that covers all things OS-HELP! 

Key Elements

  • OS-HELP is a loan available to eligible undergraduate and postgraduate students enrolled in a Commonwealth supported place who want to undertake some of their study overseas.
  • In 2024, students can access up to $9,504 for studies within Asia, and an additional $1,263 if students undertake Asian language studies in preparation for studies in Asia.
  • Students can access up to $7,921 for studies outside of Asia, e.g. USA, Europe, South America, Africa, etc.
  • Ultimately, the amount students can borrow using an OS-HELP loan is determined by their university in accordance with the OS-HELP policy.
  • OS-HELP can be used for a range of expenses such as airfare, accommodation and other travel or study expenses.
  • Students may receive one loan per six-month study period and can access a total of two OS-HELP loans over their lifetime.
  • The type of overseas study for which you may be able to receive OS-HELP assistance could include semester, short-course study programs, clinical placements and internships.

Eligibility Requirements

OS-HELP eligibility requirements can be updated from time to time by the Australian Government, so it is recommended students refer to the Study Assist website. Generally students would normally be eligible for OS-HELP if they meet the following requirements:

  • you are an Australian citizen or permanent humanitarian visa holder
  • you are enrolled with an Australian provider (university) as a Commonwealth supported student and have completed one equivalent full-time student load, which is usually one year of full-time study
  • you are enrolled in an undergraduate or postgraduate course with an Australian university
  • your overseas program counts as academic credit towards your current enrolled course requirements
  • you will have one course of study left to complete (back in Australia) once you have finished your overseas program
  • you have a tax file number (TFN) or provide a ‘Certificate of Application for a TFN’

How to Apply

You must apply to your higher education provider for an OS-HELP loan. Each university runs its own application and selection process. Students should contact CISaustralia or their university’s International Office for more detailed information on OS-HELP.

Adventure Awaits

Subscribe to our newsletter and receive the latest updates on all CISaustralia programs, scholarships, news and more!