July in New York State, USA
Earn academic credit, explore New York, and embrace the traditional east coast USA lifestyle! Our 4 week July in New York State program allows you to earn credit through the esteemed private liberal arts school of Hartwick College.
Any student who refers an applicant that enrols and fully pays for the program will receive a $500 tuition waiver for each recommended student. Scholarship closes at 5pm on 1st April, 2024 – Apply Now! Click here for more information…
Get ready for an unforgettable 4 weeks in the heart of the East Coast at Hartwick College, a prestigious private institution nestled in the scenic beauty of Oneonta, New York (pronounced OW-NEE-ON-TUH). Immerse yourself in the charm of a small, traditional, liberal arts university while enjoying an array of academic and recreational opportunities.
Discover Academic Excellence
At Hartwick College, you’ll have access to a diverse range of academic courses, allowing you to explore your passions in various disciplines. The college takes pride in offering small classes, with a student/faculty ratio of 10:1 – which is almost unprecedented in Australia. Embrace personalised attention and meaningful interactions with your professors. Engage in meaningful discussions, participate in hands-on learning, and create lasting memories in one of the most picturesque corners of the United States.
East Coast Elegance
Delight in the scenic beauty and relish in the cultural richness of the East Coast in the charming town of Oneonta, New York. With the nickname “City of the Hills”, Oneonta promises the peaceful charm of the Northeast with sprawling hills and beautiful forests of colourful trees. Hartwick College’s campus is surrounded by lush landscapes, providing the perfect backdrop for your New York State adventure.
Unparalleled Campus Experience
Hartwick College, founded in 1797, offers a small, close-knit campus environment where you’ll make friends easily. As a liberal arts university, almost 90% of the student population live on-campus, fostering a great community and lifetime connections. Enjoy state-of-the-art facilities, including modern classrooms, libraries, and recreational areas. Access multiple gyms, a pool, cafeteria, coffee shop, and more, ensuring you have everything you need for a fulfilling academic and social experience. In addition, Hartwick College boasts 18 NCAA Division III sporting teams, so it’s no wonder that almost a third of its students compete in university sports.
Diversity and Connection
Nestled in the heart of the East Coast, you’ll find yourself in a close-knit community that values diversity and inclusion. Oneonta is home to not just one but two institutions, Hartwick and the State University of New York. This creates a vibrant and dynamic academic atmosphere in a town with students from all over the world.
Proximity to Iconic Destinations
Oneonta, New York offers a central location that allows you to explore some of the most iconic destinations on the East Coast. The renowned National Baseball Hall of Fame, located in Cooperstown, is just a short drive away. Oneonta is also conveniently close to New York City. Included in your program fee, you will have the opportunity to visit NYC to explore the world-famous landmarks, diverse neighbourhoods, and rich cultural experiences of the Big Apple during your stay. For a more serene escape, Niagara Falls is also within a few hours from Hartwick, where you can witness Earth’s second largest waterfall!
Get ready to embark on a journey of discovery and growth in New York State this January. Start getting excited for an enriching academic experience, exciting cultural excursions, a vibrant campus life, and the opportunity to create lifelong friendships. Your East Coast adventure begins here!
Discover the best of New York State and immerse yourself in a transformative experience at Hartwick College. From cultural excursions to academic enrichment and exploring the picturesque surroundings, your July program is designed to be unforgettable.
- Experience an unforgettable weekend in New York City! During your weekend excursion you get a chance to explore the delights of NYC – from the Statue of Liberty to New York style pizza, the Empire State, Time Square, Central Park, the Brooklyn Bridge and more. There is so much to see and do in the Big Apple.
- Meet students from around the world – create a lifelong network of like-minded and motivated friends.
- Gain credit for an academic course of your choice that is available to full-time students during the academic year. You’ll be guided by world-class lecturers and professors, enjoying an enriching academic experience.
- The rolling hills and picturesque landscapes of Oneonta make it a great place for outdoor activities such as hiking and mountain biking.
- Escape the Australian Winter and embrace a US summer! In July, soak up the summer sun with an average daytime temperature of 25°C, creating an ideal environment for outdoor exploration.
- Oneonta has its share of local legends and folklore, adding to the town’s unique character. One example is the famous “Oneonta Octagon House,” an architectural marvel shrouded in mystery.
- The nearby town of Cooperstown is home to the renowned National Baseball Hall of Fame, making it an absolute must-visit for baseball enthusiasts. When July arrives, you’ll witness the town’s transformation into a baseball haven, with minor leagues and summer camps providing a host of baseball-related activities.
- Experience the best of both worlds, immersing yourself in traditional US small-town life while enjoying the exciting attractions of NYC. Whether you’re indulging in local festivals, exploring the arts, or trying out new restaurants, your adventure has it all.
- Visit Albany, the capital of New York only 1.5 hours drive away. Albany’s huge Empire State Plaza has reflecting pools, an art-filled underground shopping concourse and The Egg, a striking performing arts centre. The plaza is bookended by the 1800s New York State Capitol and the New York State Museum, focusing on natural and cultural history.
- Check-In and Welcome Lunch/Dinner
- On-Campus Orientation and Move In
- Hartwick Campus Tour
- Oneonta City Tour
- New York City 2 Day/1 Night Excursion
- On-Campus Activities / Cultural Excursion Opportunities
- Final Exam
- Closing Ceremony with Lunch/Dinner
Choose Your Course
Hosted at Hartwick College in Oneonta, New York, this 4-week program offers students an exceptional educational experience with a personal touch. Hartwick College is dedicated to providing innovative programs of study, allowing students to explore specific areas of interest. The program attracts a growing community of international students who are keen to embark on enriching study abroad experiences.
During the program, students will have the opportunity to learn from distinguished professors who are leaders in their respective fields. The curriculum is designed to be dynamic, hands-on, and intensive, providing a well-rounded educational experience.
- ART-250: Intro to Augmented Reality
- SOCI-111: Controversial Social Issues
- ENSS-250: Gender and the Environment
Course Load: 1 course, each equivalent to 3 US credits / 45 contact hours
- Depending on your Australian university, “courses” may be referred to as “subjects” or “units”.
- Each course/subject/unit you undertake on a CISaustralia program is designed to be a full-time, semester course that has been condensed to fit into an intensive, short-term program. As such, for any 1 course you study abroad, you should receive the credit points for 1 full-time course/subject/unit at your Australian university.
- Many universities work off of a 1-for-1 equivalency (1 course abroad = 1 course in Australia), but ultimately credit approval is the decision of your faculty and Australian university.
- CISaustralia strongly recommends that you have any overseas courses pre-approved for academic credit before you depart for your program. Some documentation that may be useful are the course outline/syllabus, program overview and the contact hours.
- Although you will only take 1 course on the program, it is best to get multiple courses approved by your university before you go overseas. This gives you some flexibility in your schedule.
- Please be aware that the courses listed above are subject to change and cannot be guaranteed year on year.
- Your CISaustralia Program Advisor can assist with any questions or details your university needs to make a decision.
How to Choose Your Course: Now the fun part! As part of the application process you will be required to complete your CISaustralia Course Selections in your Student Portal.
Academic Requirement: To qualify for this program, students must be in good academic standing with a GPA of 4.0 (out of 7) or equivalent. If your current GPA falls below the requirement, you may still be considered for the program but will need to be prepared to provide supporting documentation. Please contact us to discuss your situation if you are unsure of your eligibility.
COVID Safe Travel
CISaustralia monitors Smartraveller and reliable news feeds to keep up to date with the latest COVID information and any associated travel restrictions and entry requirements for all destinations where we have programs. Due to the constantly evolving COVID-19 situation, Government travel advice can change quickly. For the most up to date information on the United States, visit the Smartraveller website.
As part of your program, you’ll enjoy an excursion to bustling New York City (NYC). This 2-day/1-night adventure encompasses shared accommodation for one night, round-trip transportation to and from NYC, a group dinner, breakfast, and an additional cultural activity such as a live show or scenic water cruise along the Hudson River. The cultural activities on this excursion tend to change from year to year. You will also have some free time to explore the city at your own pace.
Additionally, Hartwick College offers a cultural activities calendar for each program. This schedule is thoughtfully crafted in collaboration with the Hartwick College Student Experience Office, Hartwick Student Ambassadors, and International Clubs. These activities change each year, are optional and come with a fee, which is usually quite reasonable and caters for a student budget. Don’t forget to explore locally! Within a convenient 10-minute walking distance from campus, Oneonta, New York, boasts a charming Main Street adorned with local shops and restaurants for you to explore.
For those seeking more adventure, there’s the option to take part in additional activities. In July, you can embark on an exciting trip to Hartwick’s environmental campus, which offers the chance to explore picturesque settings while canoeing and kayaking.
Your experience in New York is further enhanced by the presence of your CISaustralia on-site representative, who will welcome you to the city and assist you in settling in. The on-site representative and support team will greet you on arrival and will invite you to a welcome lunch/dinner. Throughout your stay, on-site staff will be a valuable source of advice on local cultural activities and opportunities.
Hartwick College is nestled in the charming town of Oneonta, New York, a location that offers a unique blend of academic excellence and a vibrant community. Oneonta is a city known for its rich history and natural beauty, providing an ideal backdrop for a college experience that goes beyond the classroom.
Situated in the heart of Upstate New York, Hartwick College is surrounded by picturesque landscapes, including the Catskill Mountains to the south and the rolling hills of the Susquehanna River Valley to the north. This stunning natural setting offers students opportunities for outdoor adventures, hiking, and exploring the beauty of the four distinct seasons that grace the region.
Oneonta, New York
Oneonta’s small-town charm and welcoming atmosphere make it an ideal place to pursue higher education. The city is home to a diverse range of local businesses, restaurants, and cultural attractions. Students can enjoy a variety of dining options, from cosy cafes to family-owned eateries, all within easy reach of the college campus.
The college’s location is perfect for those who appreciate a close-knit community while still having access to the amenities and resources of a larger city. Oneonta offers a thriving arts scene, with local galleries and theatres showcasing the talents of both students and the broader community.
For those seeking cultural enrichment, Hartwick College is a short drive away from museums, historical sites, and festivals that celebrate the region’s heritage. The charming Main Street of Oneonta hosts events throughout the year, creating a lively atmosphere for students to enjoy.
Beyond the town’s borders, you’ll find numerous opportunities for exploration. Nearby Cooperstown is famous for the National Baseball Hall of Fame and the Farmers’ Museum, providing a taste of American history and sports culture.
New York, USA
One of the most iconic destinations in New York is, of course, the bustling metropolis of New York City. Just a few hours’ drive or a convenient train ride away, students can immerse themselves in the world’s cultural, financial, and entertainment capital. From Broadway shows and world-class museums to Central Park and the Statue of Liberty, the city offers endless possibilities for exploration and adventure.
For those interested in history, Upstate New York is rich with historic sites and landmarks. The region played a crucial role in the American Revolution, and you can visit historic forts like Fort Ticonderoga or Saratoga National Historical Park. The Erie Canal, a marvel of 19th-century engineering, also winds its way through the state, offering a glimpse into the past.
Nature enthusiasts will find a paradise in the Adirondack Park, a vast expanse of pristine wilderness perfect for hiking, camping, and water sports. The Catskill Mountains, located nearby, provide additional opportunities for outdoor activities, and their charming towns offer a cosy respite from city life.
New York State is renowned for its agriculture, and students can explore the Hudson Valley’s wineries, apple orchards, and farm-to-table dining. In the Finger Lakes region, you can discover some of the state’s best vineyards and experience the serenity of the glacially-carved lakes.
For those with an interest in the arts, New York is home to world-class cultural institutions. In addition to the museums and galleries in New York City, you can explore the Corning Museum of Glass, the Storm King Art Center, and the Dia Beacon in the Hudson Valley.
New York State also boasts a variety of festivals and events throughout the year, celebrating everything from music and food to culture and heritage. These gatherings offer a chance for students to immerse themselves in the local community and experience the state’s unique traditions.
Whether you’re interested in history, the arts, outdoor activities, or simply enjoying the warmth of a close community, Hartwick College’s location in Oneonta, New York, offers the perfect backdrop for a well-rounded and fulfilling college experience.
Founded in 1797, Hartwick College is a private liberal arts college with approx. 1,100 students located in Oneonta, New York. With a rich history spanning more than two centuries, the college has evolved into a distinguished institution known for its academic excellence, small personalised classes and commitment to providing a well-rounded education. Hartwick College traces its origins to a group of Lutheran ministers who established the Hartwick Seminary in Hartwick, New York. Over the years, the seminary transitioned into a college, expanding its curriculum and offerings.
Today, Hartwick College offers a wide range of undergraduate programs, 31 majors and 11 minors, in various disciplines, including arts, humanities, business, arts history, sciences (biology, chemistry, physics), social sciences, forensic science, cybersecurity, game development, criminal justice and pre-professional studies. The college is renowned for its rigorous academic programs, small class sizes, and a strong emphasis on student-faculty interaction. The diverse array of majors and minors allows students to explore their passions and interests while receiving personalised attention from experienced faculty members.
Hartwick College upholds the liberal arts tradition, emphasising a well-rounded education that nurtures critical thinking, creativity, and communication skills. The college’s curriculum encourages students to engage with different perspectives, fostering a deep understanding of the world and preparing graduates for a wide range of careers and further academic pursuits. In addition to academic pursuits, Hartwick College offers a variety of extracurricular activities, including clubs, organisations, and sports teams. These activities provide students with opportunities to develop leadership skills, engage in community service, and form lasting friendships.
Liberal arts Colleges and Universities in the USA, like Hartwick College, traditionally offer well-rounded education that encompasses a broad range of academic disciplines. Liberal arts institutions are known for their small class sizes and a low student-to-faculty ratio – which means that students have more opportunities for personalised attention and interaction with professors. Liberal Arts institutions tend to prioritise teaching and undergraduate education. While faculty members may engage in research, their primary focus is often classroom instruction and mentoring students.
The majority of all Hartwick College students live on campus – both American and international students. Students will stay in Sophomore and Junior housing, in shared rooms, with standard features including; security swipe card, 24/7 security, wifi, linen pack, bed, desk, chair, storage space, lamp, bathroom and access to the fitness centre. Common area facilities include TV lounge area, shared kitchen and laundry room facilities, study areas / lounges, shared sporting facilities and Resident Advisors on site and available 24/7.
A student meal plan will also be provided, consisting of three (3) meals per day during the week, and two (2) per day on weekends (brunch and dinner).
Access to University facilities, including eateries, library, support services, gym, indoor pool, athletics, recreational and sporting facilities and activities, via an appropriate Student ID card / pass or University access card will also be provided.
Program Fee & Dates
|June - July 2024 (4 Weeks)
|Any student who refers an applicant that enrols and fully pays for the program will receive a A$500 tuition waiver! Don't miss out, apply now! Click here for more information...
|26 April 2024
|23 June 2024
|20 July 2024
Program fees include the following:
- CISaustralia support services before, during, and after the program
- Academic advising
- Financial advice
- Assistance with travel arrangements
- Pre-departure guide and session
- Student ID card with access to on-campus facilities and meal plan
- 2 day/1 night excursion to NYC (see above for details)
- Airport pick-up and drop-off (on specified program arrival date within designated arrival times)
- Accommodation for duration of program (shared rooms on campus)
- Welcome orientation by Hartwick staff and students
- A meal plan with 3 meals a day on weekdays and 2 meals a day on weekends
- Tuition fees (One x 3 credit course)
- On-campus internet / wifi
- Access to gym (weights, equipment, studio for spin classes and yoga), pool, library, and cafeteria.
- Program risk matrix and COVID-19 risk assessment
- Risk Management and Emergency Response Plan
- CISaustralia 24/7 on-site support – Site Director
- Hartwick College official transcript
What is not included:
- Program application fee
- International Student Identity Card
- Flights (CISaustralia will however provide travel guidance and support via our formal travel partner)
- Travel insurance
- Visa fees*
- Vaccinations (if required)
- Additional Meals (unless mentioned above)
- Extra travel/excursions (other than those mentioned above)
*Students should expect to pay approx. US$800 for their student visa, in addition to attending an in-person interview in Sydney, Melbourne or Perth. The visa fee of approx. US$800 includes 3 different components – Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) fee of US$350, the reciprocity fee, also known as the visa issuance fee of US$280 – US$300 and a non-immigrant visa application fee (MRV fee) of US$185. US Government student visa fees are regulated by the US Government and are subject to change without notice. CISaustralia cannot charge or collect fees for the US student visa.
Dates are for reference only and are subject to change. Please do not book flights until you have received the confirmed dates in your acceptance paperwork.
CISaustralia reserves the right to alter fees at any time due to currency fluctuations and/or fee changes made by our partner universities.