July in Maastricht, the Netherlands
Enjoy this 3-week program studying Forensic Psychology or Leadership and Management in a Global World at an international university located in the heart of Europe. This charming and historic city is a perfect place to spend part of your winter Uni break!
This 3-week program designed specifically for CISaustralia students is hosted at Maastricht University – considered one of the best young universities in the world! Maastricht is a perfect city to enjoy part of your winter Uni break while gaining academic credit for a course in Forensic Psychology or Leadership and Management in a Global World.
The town invites you to explore its historic buildings, cutting-edge architecture and industrial heritage. Thanks to the large international student population, the city also hosts a vibrant cultural scene and has numerous cafés, restaurants, pubs, museums, theatres, music venues, sports facilities and shops to explore.
Maastricht University focuses on a global outlook while being closely connected to the surrounding community and preparing students to be ready for the national and international labour markets. The University plays a leading role in the creation and diffusion of world-class knowledge and innovation, with the aim of providing students and staff an international learning experience and environment. With half of its students coming from abroad, the University is an extraordinary melting pot of cultures, languages and nationalities.
This comprehensive study abroad experience and on-site support provide full assistance with everything from academic advising to immersion into Dutch life. Each course incorporates cultural excursions and weekend trips to the Amsterdam and Germany. Located in the heart of Europe, this hands-on program, both inside and outside of the classroom, is sure to provide an unforgettable and life-changing experience!
Here are just a few highlights that make this program exciting and unique:
- Study at the most international university in the Netherlands! Considered one of the best young universities in the world, Maastricht University has a strong focus on social engagement and is a pioneer of Problem-Based Learning (PBL).
- Enjoy a comprehensive program that prides itself on providing the best possible European study abroad experiences both inside and outside the classroom.
- Gain credit for a dynamic and engaging course (taught in English) designed for international students that integrates cultural excursions and weekend trips.
- Experience life in this popular student town that mixes medieval and modern architecture and is home to a vibrant cultural scene.
- Located in the heart of Europe, enjoy quick and easy access to other countries and major European cities!
- Arrival (Friday)
- City tour
- Opening ceremony and introduction (including lunch)
- Begin classes
- Maastricht excursion
- Weekend trip: Netherlands
- 2 group dinners
- Weekend trip: Germany
- Final exam or debate
- Closing ceremony
- Check-out of accommodation by 12pm on final day (Saturday)
Choose Your Course
The July in Maastricht, the Netherlands program is hosted by the Center for European Studies (CES) at Maastricht University. Each 3-week course is dynamic, hands-on and intensive while integrating field trips and cultural weekend excursions. All courses are designed for international students and are taught in English.
- Forensic Psychology
- Leadership and Management in a Global World
Note: There is a minimum class size of 10 students for each course. If the minimum class size is not met, the class may not be offered. There is a maximum of 26 students for Forensic Psychology and 15 students for Leadership and Management. For more information, please contact your CISaustralia Program Advisor.
Course Load: 1 course, each equivalent to 7.5 ECTS credits / 36 contact hours
- Depending on your Australian university, “courses” may be referred to as “subjects” or “units”.
- Each course/subject/unit you undertake on a CISaustralia program is designed to be a full-time, semester course that has been condensed to fit into an intensive, short-term program. As such, for any 1 course you study abroad, you should receive the credit points for 1 full-time course/subject/unit at your Australian university.
- Many universities work off of a 1-for-1 equivalency (1 course abroad = 1 course in Australia), but ultimately credit approval is the decision of your faculty and Australian university.
- CISaustralia strongly recommends that you have any overseas courses pre-approved for academic credit before you depart for your program. Some documentation that may be useful are the course outline/syllabus, program overview and the contact hours.
- Although you will only take 1 course on the program, it is best to get both courses approved by your university before you go overseas. This gives you some flexibility in case one of the courses is not offered due to low enrolment.
- Please be aware that the courses listed below are subject to change and cannot be guaranteed year on year.
- Your CISaustralia Program Advisor can assist with any questions or details your university needs to make a decision.
Academic Requirement: To qualify for this program, students must be in good academic standing with a GPA of 4.0 (out of 7) or equivalent. If your current GPA falls below the requirement, you may still be considered for the program but will need to be prepared to provide supporting documentation. Please contact us to discuss your situation and we will work with you to help find another suitable program if required.
COVID Safe Travel
The health and safety of our students is our highest priority. We take our duty of care for our students, their families and our Australian University partners seriously. For all of our program locations, we have developed a site-specific COVID-19 risk matrix and risk management and emergency response plans so that health and safety response protocols are monitored, managed and communicated.
We have also developed a flexible COVID-19 Refund Policy that limits the financial impact on students should CISaustralia (or one of our overseas partners) have to cancel or suspend a program due to COVID-19.
CISaustralia monitors Smartraveller and reliable news feeds to keep up to date with the latest COVID information and any associated travel restrictions and entry requirements for all destinations where we have programs. Due to the constantly evolving COVID-19 situation, Government travel advice can change quickly. For the most up to date information on the Netherlands, visit the Smartraveller website.
Included in your program fees are two weekend excursions to the Netherlands (The Hague and Amsterdam) and Germany (Cologne and Düsseldorf). All transportation, accommodation and entrance fees for mentioned visits are included. Visits are dependent on each course and may include a guided walking tour of Amsterdam, Anne Frank house, Zaanse Schans open air museum and a guided tour of Düsseldorf palace, among others.
Throughout the program, you will also enjoy a Maastricht city tour, 2 group dinners, and an opening and closing ceremony.
Please note excursions are subject to change and are indicative only.
Situated on the southern tip of the Netherlands between Germany and Belgium, Maastricht is one of the oldest and most visited cities in the country. It is a popular student town distinguished by its mix of medieval-era and ultramodern architecture, cobblestoned old town, impressive churches and squares, and a lively cultural scene. More than 10% of the population is students, and almost half of those are international.
This beautiful European town and historic city centre makes for a very safe, comfortable and inspiring learning environment. Stroll the picturesque streets and discover the countless number of inviting sidewalk cafés, restaurants, pubs, museums, theatres, music venues, sports facilities and shops. The city is compact with most of the population commuting by bike. Within 10 minutes, you can even find yourself in nature. Most of the population speaks English (and many also speak French and German) so you shouldn’t have any difficulties making yourself understood.
Maastricht was established over 2,000 years ago and has become a melting pot of Germanic and Latin cultures. Located in the heart of Europe, this makes for a perfect location to explore other parts of the continent. There are 8 airports within a 1-hour drive of the city, and Brussels, Amsterdam, Paris and Frankfurt are all 3 hours away (or less) by train.
Maastricht University is the most international university in the Netherlands with 18,000 students and 4,400 employees – and growing! It stands out for its innovative education model, international character and multidisciplinary approach to research and education. There is a strong focus on social engagement and is considered one of the best young universities in the world.
Half of the University’s students are international and represent over 100 different nationalities. The University is a pioneer of Problem-Based Learning (PBL), which challenges students not only to learn their subject matter, but also to actively develop their talents, interests and skills such as self-reliance, assertiveness and problem-solving.
Maastricht University is part of two leading European and international university networks. It is the only Dutch member of the Worldwide Universities Network (WUN) made up of 18 research universities across 6 continents. The network offers a platform for collaboration on education and transnational research projects. It is also among the 18 highly-ranked founding members of the Young European Research Universities Network (YERUN), which facilitates cooperation in scientific research, academic education and service to society. It also coordinates the Young Universities for the Future of Europe (YUFE) alliance, a major strategic partnership established between 8 young research-intensive universities and 6 associate partners from across Europe.
This program is facilitated by the Center for European Studies (CES) at Maastricht University. Since 1987, CES has prided itself on providing the best possible European study abroad experiences inside and outside the classroom. CES has been organising comprehensive, English language study abroad programs for international students for more than 30 years. The small, international team of dedicated staff offer assistance with everything from academic advising to immersion into Dutch student life.
Accommodation will be at the Maastricht University International Guesthouse. Students can choose between a single or double room:
- Single room, C building* – you will have your own bedroom and share a communal kitchen and bathroom with the people on your floor. The kitchen is a student residence kitchen equipped with a refrigerator, microwave oven, an electric cooking plate, and basic limited cutlery. As the kitchen is shared amongst all people on the floor, it is up to you and all other students of the residence to ensure a certain level of cleanliness is maintained. There is also a common area with some couches and a TV, where you can spend time with other students.
- Double room, P building – you will share a bedroom with another program participant. Each room has a kitchenette. The bathroom facilities are communal. Please note there is no common area available in this building.
*Note there is limited availability for single rooms.
Each bedroom has free wireless internet. Bed linen is provided, however students need to bring their own towel. Upon arrival, you will have the opportunity to go shopping where you can purchase towels and other items that you may need.
Students also have free access to a tennis and basketball court as well as free laundry facilities.
Over 30 years ago, the Guesthouse was the academic teaching hospital of Maastricht. Nowadays, the student dorms are located in this building, as well as 3 general practitioners, a pharmacy and other medical facilities. The Guesthouse is staffed by security and a receptionist. Grocery shops are within 3 minutes from the accommodation and campus is about 10-20 minutes by bike or walking. Downtown Maastricht is also within a short walking distance.
Accommodation on the weekend trips will either be at hotels in double or triple rooms (including those who have booked single rooms at the Guesthouse). Overnight stays at hotels include breakfast.
Program Fee & Dates
|July 2022 (3 weeks)|
|Application Deadline||15 May 2022|
|Arrival Date||01 July 2022|
|Departure Date||23 July 2022|
|Application Fee||A$ 95|
|Program Fee||A$ 7,499 - 7,999|
Program fees include the following:
- CISaustralia support services before, during and after the program
- Academic advising
- Financial advice
- Assistance with travel arrangements
- Visa assistance
- Pre-departure guide and session
- Airport pick-up (on specified program arrival date within designated arrival times)
- On-site orientation
- Accommodation – single or double room
- Dutch SIM card including unlimited calling and 7GB data
- 2 group dinners
- Opening and closing ceremonies
- Tuition fees – including course materials
- Maastricht University student card with access to the University library
- Maastricht city tour and excursion
- 2 weekend excursions to the Netherlands (The Hague and Amsterdam) and Germany (Cologne and Düsseldorf)
- Program risk matrix and COVID-19 risk assessment
- Risk Management and Emergency Response Plan
- CISaustralia 24/7 on-site support – Site Director
- Maastricht University official transcript
- CISaustralia Certificate of Participation (available on request)
What is not included:
- Program application fee
- International Student Identity Card
- Flights (CISaustralia will however provide travel guidance and support via our formal travel partner)
- Medical insurance
- Travel insurance
- Visa fees*
- Vaccinations (if required)
- Meals (unless mentioned above)
- Extra travel/excursions (other than those mentioned above)
*No visa is necessary for Australian citizens if staying in the Schengen zone for less than 90 days. Please speak with your Program Advisor if you are not an Australian citizen and/or are planning to travel for more than 90 days.
Dates are for reference only and are subject to change. Please do not book flights until you have received the confirmed dates in your acceptance paperwork.
CISaustralia reserves the right to alter fees at any time due to currency fluctuations and/or fee changes made by our partner universities.