Do you want to be part of the bigger picture? Are you a keen diver or would like to learn?
Well, the secret is out about the beauty and splendour of this tiny island and tourists have been flocking in droves. Great for the local economy but not so great for the precious reefs. Global warming aside, with the growth in tourism and visitation rates, the marine national park has suffered greatly.
The very best dive schools have teamed up with the local community to develop a marine conservation project to protect the precious coral reefs within the Koh Tao National Park. By becoming a volunteer you can play an integral part in a program, which to date, boasts success that has seen government environmental agencies use the data gathered to make policy decisions.
Regular monitoring and cleaning on the reefs helps to remove any build-up of potentially damaging debris. Monitoring also helps to identify changes in both the numbers and health of the marine life which allows researchers to identify areas of concern. These issues can then be acted on.
As a volunteer, you can become an active eco-ambassador of responsible diving practices. You’ll have the opportunity to help culture giant clam nurseries, build artificial reefs and carry out regular marine monitoring activities in the clear ocean waters surrounding the island. Spend everyday diving and familiarising yourself with the precious marine life of Thailand.
This project includes SSI Open Water, Advanced and SSI Ecological Diver certification. Prices vary depending on level of existing certification.
Note: The PADI certification is also an option over SSI certification, however, there is a nominal extra fee for the PADI certification – paid on arrival.
- Project Activities: Reef monitoring, data collections, identifying species and underwater clean up
- Project Availability: Projects start weekly, except from around 15 October - 1 January, when it is closed due to Monsoon season
- Program Duration: 2-6 weeks. Internships are also available for keen divers who want to stay longer than 6 weeks. We recommend a 3 or 4-week program.
- Working Hours: Monday to Friday, 9am to approx. 4pm
- Location: Koh Tao, Thailand
- Excursions: There will be plenty of time to make friends and discover surrounding islands (at own expense and outside working hours). Explore beautiful beaches and secluded coves or get out of the water and head into the jungle on the back of a magnificent Asian elephant. Stay overnight with a hill tribe family and fall asleep to the sounds of the wild. Our on-site staff can assist in providing advice and helping to plan activities and excursions.
- Support: 24-hour on-site support from our Project Leaders and Site Director
- Minimum Age: 18+
- Language: English