Community volunteering doesn’t get more rewarding than this…
On the island of Leyte, a one hour flight southeast of Manila, a community development project has been established just outside the capital city of Tacloban. At the very heart of the program, volunteers are needed to help staff at the local community centre based in a housing project outside Tacloban. The centre is the lifeblood of the community and provides vital support for the local people. Many locals rely on its resources, and generous volunteers, for help in supporting and bringing up their families.
If you’re a dynamic and adaptable person who enjoys engaging in a wide variety of tasks, you will definitely find this project rewarding. Day to day, volunteers will partake in an array of activities which include, but are not limited to:
- Develop and offer social welfare services for kids from disadvantaged backgrounds
- Teaching and/or teacher assistance at a local school – teaching English
- Assist with community nutritional programs
- Assist with a local micro-financing project for low-income mothers
- Provide assistance with supplementary feeding for malnourished pre-school children
- Assist with community centre projects – help build local community centres so the local people have a place to gather and for shelter in floods and poor weather conditions
- Assist with community housing projects
You will be closely supervised by the very friendly team of local staff.
Volunteers can also help with a number of other community development projects ranging from assisting with the development of a project which aims to rehabilitate children who are working, or have previously worked in the Tacloban City rubbish-tip.
If you have skills that will assist with any one particular project, those skills will be put to good use. However, as long as you have drive to help a community in need, your participation will be valued. The diversification of activities on the project is a unique aspect.
- Project Activities: Help with day-to-day operations in the community development centre – administration, playtime activities, after school tutorials, help with daily feeding of community children and assist with a significant range of local community projects
- Project Availability: Projects begin every Monday. The program is closed between April - May and 20 December - 5 January due to school holidays.
- Project Duration: 2-26 weeks. Please note: the following projects typically require a minimum duration of 4 weeks: Social Welfare Centres for Street Children, Women's Shelter, Boys' Rehab, Rural Health Clinics.
- Working Hours: Monday to Friday 8am to 1pm – or earlier if you elect to assist with breakfast
- Location: Tacloban, Leyte, Philippines
- Excursions: Two local excursions are included in your visit to Tacloban City. This could be a beach holiday, a visit to local monuments or a group dinner at one of the multi-cultural restaurants in Tacloban. You will also have enough personal time in the afternoons and on the weekends – enjoy your own beach trips, attend special events or services with your host family and/or visit the other community projects in surrounding areas. Our on-site staff can assist you in planning or deciding on other fun sites to see and explore while you are in the Philippines.
- Support: 24-hour on-site support from Project Leader, Site Coordinator and Site Director
- Police check is required
- Minimum Age: 18+
- Language: English