Lend a hand to impoverished children while taking in the beautiful culture and history of Cambodia! This project targets local Khmer families who are struggling to support themselves and educate their children. Many families in rural villages have very limited access to education and medical attention. Volunteers help teach English and other related subjects in a local primary school, as well as help out with water and clothing distribution. You’ll experience big city and small village life, not to mention the opportunity to visit the popular attractions of Siem Reap and Angkor Wat!
- Project Activities: Volunteers are not required to have any background or formal qualifications in teaching or education for this program. Volunteers with partial or complete teaching / education qualifications will be able to start engaging with students much earlier, with less supervision. Your skills and expertise will be warmly welcomed by the teaching staff on-site. Volunteers with no teaching background will be provided with a detailed handbook with lots of tips and advice in terms of teaching primary school students in a classroom environment. The local teachers will also be there to guide and support you. You will primarily be teaching local Khmer students basic English, but there are also other subject areas that the children and teachers need support, e.g. art / crafts, sports, math, science, etc. Volunteers will also be rotated in the computer class (only basic skills required) and will all have the opportunity to assist on the daily water run and dropping the children back to their homes in the afternoons. Volunteers may also have the opportunity to assist with the clothing run (no fixed schedule). Students are requested to bring as much appropriate second-hand clothing as possible – for both children and adults.
- Project Availability: Year-round. Arrive any Sunday. 10 students maximum on the project at any one time – first in, best dressed policy.
- Project Duration: Minimum 2 weeks. Recommended 4 weeks. Up to 12 weeks maximum.
- Working Hours: Monday to Friday, 8am to 4:30pm
- Location: Phnom Penh, Cambodia (with an excursion to Siem Reap for groups of 6-10 participants)
- Excursions*: 3-night / 4-day excursion to Siem Reap, Angkor Wat and the Silk Farm
- Support: 24-hour on-site support from our Site Coordinator and Site Director
- Police Check is required
- Minimum Age: 18+
Language: English (having basic Cambodian is not required but is helpful and shows the locals that you are keen to engage)
*Note: The Siem Reap excursion includes transport from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap, basic accommodation, meals and entrance fee to Angkor Wat. The excursion is only offered for groups of 6-10 volunteers. If attending the program at a time with 1-5 volunteers, your program fee will be reduced by approximately A$250 over two weeks. Speak with your CISaustralia Advisor for further information.