July in Bangkok, Thailand
Spend 4 weeks in Bangkok, Thailand for part of your winter university break. Choose to learn or improve your Thai language skills, or take an English-taught course in business, entrepreneurship, history, marketing or sustainable tourism.
Our July in Bangkok, Thailand program allows students to undertake a 4-week study program while being immersed in a new culture.
You will live and study in Salaya, an easy 30 to 40-minute commute to Bangkok, the capital of Thailand. You will take classes with Thai and international students, study in English, and have plenty of time to interact with elephants, explore ancient ruins, idyllic coastlines, crystal waters and venture into amazing jungles.
Start getting excited about:
The friendliness of the Thai people – Known as the “Land of Smiles” for a reason, Thailand is home to some of the world’s warmest, welcoming and incredibly open-minded people.
Cultural immersion with courses taught in English – If you’re after a study experience that is a little different and still with strong academics, you’ve come to the right place. Our July in Bangkok, Thailand program offers courses in Thai language and culture, business and intercultural studies.
Life not far from a contemporary, cosmopolitan city – Bangkok is geographically one of the largest cities in the world. The city is famous for its delicious cuisine, inexpensive shopping and colourful nightlife. During your July in Bangkok, you will live in Salaya, an easy 40-minute commute (approx. A$6 taxi ride one-way) from the heart of central Bangkok.
A perfect base to destinations in southeast Asia and beyond – Bangkok is the perfect travel hub to explore southeast Asia. When you find yourself with free time, you will no doubt want to explore a little – and you will be well placed to do this, conveniently and cost-effectively. Included in your fees is also an excursion to Chiang Mai as part of the program!
A dynamic social scene with cultural activities galore – Mahidol University International College has many student interest groups and numerous social and cultural activities. Dances, concerts, plays and movies take place frequently throughout the semester. Get involved and you are sure to make friends from all over the world!
World-famous beaches – Thailand is renowned for its white-sand beaches that literally squeaks under your feet – you can imagine it now!
An amazing tropical climate – Bangkok and Salaya have a tropical monsoon climate, warm and humid.
The July in Bangkok, Thailand program gives you access to incredible opportunities to immerse yourself in the local culture, make international friends and networks, and explore beaches, jungles and iconic sites throughout the country.
Here are a few of the key highlights that will make your July in Bangkok, Thailand program unique:
- Study abroad in Salaya, just outside of Bangkok, at one of the most well-regarded universities in Asia – Mahidol University
- Take classes with Thai and international students
- A 2-day / 2-night excursion to Chiang Mai is included as part of the program
- An abundance of white-sandy beaches and clear, warm tropical water
- Opportunities to interact with elephants, venture into the jungle, take on white water rafting, kayaking and explore ancient ruins
- Live a stone’s throw away from a cosmopolitan city with incredible food, shopping and nightlife
- A perfect hub for travel destinations in southeast Asia
- Incredible accommodation
- Enjoy concerts, plays and movies that are held in various venues around campus, including the recreation centre in the Student Union complex
- Experience one of the hottest tourist destinations as your home for 4 weeks!
Choose Your Course
The July in Bangkok, Thailand program is hosted by Mahidol University International College. This 4-week study course will give you a great opportunity to further develop your academic career while discovering the fascinating city of Bangkok.
- Morning classes:
- Introduction to Thai Language and Culture (100 level course)
- Global Supply Chain & Logistics Management (200 level course)
- Perspectives on the Thai Past (100 level course)
- Afternoon classes:
- International Trade and Marketing (200 level course)
- Entrepreneurship for Small Business (200 level course)
- Sustainable Development in Hospitality and Tourism (100 level course)
Courses may include out of class activities related to the field of study.
Please note: Students will need to purchase a uniform to wear whilst attending the University at their own expense (white shirt and black pants).
Course Load: 1-2 courses (only 1 course is recommended; each course is equivalent to 3 US credits / 48 hours including academic hours, field trips and an examination)
- Depending on your Australian university, “courses” may be referred to as “subjects” or “units”.
- Each course/subject/unit you undertake on a CISaustralia program is designed to be a full-time, semester course that has been condensed to fit into an intensive, short-term program. As such, for any 1 course you study abroad, you should receive the credit points for 1 full-time course/subject/unit at your Australian university.
- Many universities work off of a 1-for-1 equivalency (1 course abroad = 1 course in Australia), but ultimately credit approval is the decision of your faculty and Australian university.
- CISaustralia strongly recommends that you have any overseas courses pre-approved for academic credit before you depart for your program. Some documentation that may be useful are the course outline/syllabus, program overview and the contact hours.
- Although you will only take 1 course on the July program, it is best to get 2-3 courses approved by your university before you go overseas. This gives you some flexibility. Why not consider opting for an interesting elective if your degree allows?
- Your CISaustralia Program Advisor can assist with any questions or details your university needs to make a decision.
Academic Requirement: To qualify for this program, students must be in good academic standing with a GPA of 4.5 (out of 7) or equivalent. If your current GPA falls below the requirement, you may still be considered for the program but will need to be prepared to provide supporting documentation. Please contact us to discuss your situation and we will work with you to help find another suitable program if required.
NOTE: Please be advised that Mahidol University requires a student’s official transcript when considering applicants for the program. Ordering an official transcript from a university can take up to a few weeks. Students applying near or on the program’s application deadline should plan to have their official transcript on hand.
During your orientation and program in Bangkok, you will be integrated into the culture and there will be many opportunities to get to know the city. As part of your program you may experience some excursions organised by the host institution.
This program may include the following experiences/excursions:
- Bangkok city tour – visit the amazing Temple of the Emerald Buddha and Grand Palace and Wat Pho, rated #3 top landmark in Asia.
- Welcome dinner on the Chao Praya River and watch the sunset over Wat Arun the temple of the Dawn.
- Chiang Mai excursion – 2 days / 2 nights in Chiang Mai with CIS staff that includes flights, transport to and from airports, accommodation, half day elephant program and temple tour
- Traditional Thai cooking class – visit a local market and learn all about the ingredients in Thailand’s famous food and then make 5 dishes of your own from scratch.
- The Bangkok Arts and Culture Center – a contemporary arts centre in Bangkok. Art, music, theatre, film, design and cultural/educational events take place in its exhibition and performance spaces. The centre includes cafes, commercial art galleries, bookshops, craft shops and an art library.
- Siam Niramit – a world class performance of Thai arts and cultural heritage, on one of the worlds largest stages, with more than 100 performers and amazing sets and costumes. The show highlights the beauty and diversity of Thai culture.
- Ayuthaya – a UNESCO world heritage site and ruined former capital of Ancient Siam. Visit a beautiful temple on the site of one of the world’s largest cities during the 17th century.
For an additional fee, students can also choose to spend a weekend in Cambodia as part of the program.
- Fly to Siem Reap, Cambodia for a weekend (visa required) – spend a day at the world famous landmark exploring Angkor Wat and surrounding temples with CISaustralia staff and local guides. Accommodation for 2 nights, 3 meals a day and a half day bike tour are also included. See Program Fee & Dates section below for additional pricing.
Please note: excursions are subject to change and are indicative only.
Thailand, officially the Kingdom of Thailand, was formerly known as Siam. The population of Thailand comprises of roughly 65 million people, the majority of whom are ethnically Thai and 95% are Buddhist. The capital, Bangkok, has a population of approx. 7 million, although this number varies seasonally and is difficult to accurately estimate. With the surrounding areas, Bangkok has a much larger population.
Thailand features Buddhist temples, exotic wildlife, and spectacular islands. Along with a fascinating history and a unique culture that includes delectable Thai food and massage. Thailand features a modern capital city, an idyllic countryside and friendly people who epitomise Thailand’s “land of smiles” reputation.
The July in Bangkok, Thailand program is based just outside of Bangkok – a city that has gained an international reputation as an independent, dynamic city synonymous with the exotic. The city’s wealth of attractions, cultural landmarks and entertainment venues see close to 11 million foreign visitors each year.
For transportation, Bangkok offers buses, trains, a skytrain, vans, taxis, tuk-tuks (a 3-wheeled cart with a motorcycle front end), motorcycle taxis, river ferries and a subway system which allows you to travel easily throughout the city and surrounding areas. You’ll live in Salaya, with easy access to Bangkok by bus, private van (‘rot dtoo’), train or taxi!
Bangkok is one of the world’s top attractions and most visited cities and offers something for everyone:
- Chinatown – Yaowarat, one of the biggest Chinatowns in the world. Experience amazing street food, narrow alleys packed with shops of all kinds, great snacks and a unique cultural experience. Don’t forget to check on the 12-ton golden buddha at Wat Traimit, it was lost for almost 200 years!
- Siam BTS – Some of the biggest malls in Asia. See penguins, lamborghinis, watch an IMAX or go ice skating – all in one of the busiest and most up-market parts of Bangkok.
- Asiatique – Take a boat down the river and enjoy Thai dishes and other seafood along the waterfront in a beautiful setting.
- Chatujak Weekend Market – One of the biggest markets in Bangkok and more than you can see in a single day. A great place to find unique and beautiful Thai goods, presents, clothes and other souvenirs.
- Kanchanaburi – Take a day trip to this small town to see the famous death railway from World War II and camp at the beautiful Erawan park, close to a seven-level waterfall.
- Street Food – Don’t forget to try some of the many kinds of amazing street food! This is one of the must-do experiences for your stay in Thailand – sample the noodles, phat thai, curries, fresh fruit, homemade ice cream and so much more.
Whether you are exploring the cuisine, the tropical beaches on the coast, or the bustling markets, Thailand will be an unforgettable study abroad experience!
Your July in Bangkok, Thailand program will take place at Mahidol University International College.
Founded in 1888, Mahidol University has regal origins, founded by former King Chulalongkorn as the country’s first medical school. Since then, it has evolved into one of the most prestigious universities in Thailand. Mahidol ranks as the #1 university in all of Thailand, and as one of the top 50 universities in Asia. You’ll get a top quality education in Bangkok, one of the world’s most fascinating cities!
Mahidol is recognised for the caliber of its students’ research, the quality of its faculty and its outstanding achievements in both teaching and international academic collaboration. You won’t be the only study abroad student at Mahidol; the university hosts international students from 50 countries around the world. There are 16,500 students in total at Mahidol.
Your couses take place at the smaller and more intimate International College, where Thai and foreign students take classes exclusively in English. Classes are led by Thai and international faculty from all over the world.
July in Bangkok, Thailand will develop your global perspective through a blend of academic coursework, field studies and excursions to cultural sites. The university’s academics, the rich landscape of Thailand, and the cultural beauty of the country and people create the perfect equation for an unforgettable experience!
Students can choose from single or shared rooms in student accommodation. All rooms have air conditioning, hot water, western bathroom, flat screen TV, work desks, beds, a fridge, balcony and access to laundry machines. The accommodation has an on-site swimming pool, gym, mini mart and restaurant, as well as a local 24-hour coffee shop and a wide range of food.
Program Fee & Dates
|Application Deadline||08 May 2020|
|Arrival Date||26 June 2020|
|Departure Date||28 July 2020|
|Program Fee||A$ 6,499 - 6,799|
Program fees include the following:
- Tuition fees
- CISaustralia support services before, during and after the program
- Academic advising
- Financial advice
- Assistance with travel arrangements
- Visa assistance
- Pre-departure guide and session
- Airport pick-up and drop-off (on specified program dates within designated times)
- On-site orientation
- Welcome and farewell meals
- Cultural excursions – including Bangkok city tour and 2-day / 2-night Chiang Mai excursion
- CISaustralia 24/7 on-site support – Site Director
- Mahidol University International College official transcript
- CISaustralia Certificate of Participation (available on request)
Please be advised that Mahidol University requires a student’s official transcript when considering applicants for the program. Ordering an official transcript from a university can take up to a few weeks. Students applying near or on the program’s application deadline should plan to have their official transcript on hand.
What is not included:
- Medical insurance
- Travel insurance
- Visa fees
- Vaccinations (if required)
- Meals (unless mentioned above)
- Extra travel/excursions (other than those mentioned above)
- Optional weekend excursion to Siem Reap, Cambodia
- Uniform to wear whilst attending the University (white shirt and black pants)*
*Students need a white shirt and black pants/skirt to wear for classes at the University, probably several pairs for the week. Belt and badge are optional. Staff will facilitate a trip for students to buy clothes during the orientation weekend. Cost is approx. 150 baht (A$7.50) per piece.
Dates are for reference only and are subject to change. Please do not book flights until you have received the confirmed dates in your acceptance paperwork.
CISaustralia reserves the right to alter fees at any time due to currency fluctuations and/or fee changes made by our partner universities.