Industry Immersion Program – New York City, USA
This internship opportunity in NYC offers everything for you to become industry ready in 3 weeks! Engage with some of the biggest brands from around the world, network with top executives, understand the value of self-branding and get hands-on insight into marketing. Tap into that creative side while experiencing everything New York has to offer!
Looking to get valuable insider information about a marketing career in some of the most well-known brands in the United States and the world? Then this program is for you!
Our Industry Immersion Program in New York City (IIP-NYC) is a unique opportunity for a limited group of students to engage in an intensive industry immersion internship over three weeks. The program will focus on and expose students to key academic business topics in creative marketing. The program is designed for professional and personal development that combines academic and practical life with business skills with the goal of shaping you to be a well-rounded individual.
In today’s super connected world, your online reputation can be your strongest asset or your biggest liability, especially in the world of marketing where your influence points can help you land that dream job. That’s why before you join the IIP-NYC program, you’ll get access to 20 hours of online course materials to help you navigate the world of self-brand and remote working. You’ll learn how personal branding is becoming less of a competitive edge and more of a requirement for those looking for the dream job or next career step. Over the 20 hours of online learning prior to the program start, you will cover modules in determining your unique skills, how to build an audience, how to grow influence, bring your brand to life and how to develop strong online social skills. On completion of the course, your online social accounts will be representing you and your desired career path including top tips of LinkedIn, Instagram, YouTube, Blogging and Twitter.
Over the duration of the online module you’ll also learn the critical remote working skills that employers now look for when recruiting new staff, such as online communication skills from organising your calendar to getting your video conferencing professionally perfect. You’ll also learn tips and tricks to keep on top of workloads and not miss those important deadlines.
While in New York City:
- Each week you will focus on a different aspect of modern marketing, such as storytelling, influencer marketing and social first campaigns.
- We launch you into the ‘big time’ by visiting some of biggest and best companies and brands in the world and get a deeper look into how they market. Let’s not forget visits to Wall Street (insider tour), Ellis Island, the Statue of Liberty, Brooklyn Bridge, a city night tour and the Empire State Building!
- Work with a cohort of like-minded entrepreneurs under the mentorship of industry professionals. Put your insight to work through practical hands-on projects, coming up with real solutions for real world companies and helping industry clients and social enterprises tackle marketing challenges.
- Throughout these three weeks, you will meet with leading marketers and entrepreneurs, get an inside look into several New York companies, attend networking events, and participate in cultural excursions around the city. You will leave New York with well sought-after employability skills, numerous networking connections, a solid self/personal brand, and a newfound love for the Big Apple!
“Creativity – Confidence – Leadership” – Personal skills that you should acquire by the end of the program:
CREATIVITY AND PROBLEM-SOLVING SKILLS:
Develop your free thinking and tap into your creative thinking abilities. You will learn how to solve problems creatively, generate innovative ideas, present with confidence, lead and facilitate group discussions, work in a team and learn to professionally manage client relationships. With the latest online resources and technologies, you will learn to trust your instincts to make quick and effective decisions.
SELF-BRAND: ONLINE AND IN PERSON:
“Tell me about yourself.” Do you find yourself struggling with this question during a job interview? This program includes a pre-program workshop where you will be given an opportunity to work on your self-brand and understand what is important to you. There will be challenges each day that you will need to practically solve and begin to use some of the communication tools you have learned about during the online sessions. The outcome? A clear in-depth understanding of the importance of self-brand, modern workplace environments and an introduction to different sectors and industries. Learn how to nail first impressions and build a stunning professional online profile ready to blow your employers and recruitment managers away!
Develop your emotional intelligence and improve your awareness, control and expression of your own emotions, as well as the ability to handle interpersonal relationships diplomatically. Be able to adapt your communication to different environments and situations. Manage workloads, deadlines, international time zones and work/life balance. The entrepreneurship and marketing aspects involve a lot of teamwork – heightened emotional intelligence is not only key to becoming a great team player but also being recognised as a key trait/aspect of great leadership.
CONFIDENCE AND LEADERSHIP:
This program involves several client pitch opportunities with creative learning exercises. You will learn how to present with confidence and improve your public speaking and leadership skills. Say goodbye once and for all to stage fright and unlock your potential to conquer the world!
‘Innovative Experienceship’: We are kicking internships into the 21st century! Accelerated and challenge-based learning in creative environments combines practical training with impactful work experience to make you industry ready in three weeks. Over the course of the program, you are sure to develop key employability skills, business ideas and build your professional portfolio. Whether you are headed for further education, employment, entrepreneurship or a marketing career, this program is designed to benefit individuals from all backgrounds and interests.
Unique and Limited Opportunity: Our IIP-NYC program is designed with senior undergraduate students, postgraduate students and recent graduates in mind. The program offers exposure to new brands, networks, friends, ideas, concepts and culture, and the benefit of combining the practical with the theory.
Accelerated: Who knew impatience could actually be a good thing? We believe students and young professionals deserve the best career accelerators possible, so we have fast tracked the traditional 12-week internship program into a 3-week intensive immersion experience. Engage with some of the biggest and most well-known brands from around the world, network with top executives and high flyers from the United States, Australia and around the world, get an insight into how big (and small) business is done, understand the value of branding yourself, learn valuable presentation skills, build your resume with a unique and diverse experience, get hands-on insight into marketing and entrepreneurship, and develop problem solving techniques. Become industry ready in just three weeks!
Location: Intern in the business capital of the world! Experience all that New York City has to offer. With the all famous Times Square and Wall Street, we believe there is no better place in the world to experience marketing and entrepreneurship. This program is filled with exciting day and evening excursions, as well as allowing weekends off to explore the Big Apple on your own!
Industry Immersion: Build academic, business, personal and professional skills. Develop your self-brand, learn about storytelling and influencer marketing, explore the social contexts of marketing and engage with leading entrepreneurs and industry mentors. Get exclusive access to large well-known companies, generate innovative ideas for real world clients, grow your network, build your confidence and leadership skills, and much more while working and living in a city that never sleeps.
Professional Experience: From branding, website creation and market research to company feasibility, pitch decks and more, these projects are designed to give you key employable skills for entering the competitive marketing world.
Client Experience – Real Solutions for Real Clients: Learn to develop and deliver a brand story, influencer strategy and social first campaign by taking three projects with three different clients from ideation to pitch! You’ll work with real-world companies to tackle marketing challenges as part of a cohort of like-minded individuals lead by an industry-savvy coach.
Networking: With several networking events on the program itinerary, you are given a number of opportunities to meet and chat with many leading entrepreneurs and build your network alongside your professional portfolio. This program is sure to have you leaving New York with some great contacts and a professional internship sure to stand out on your resume!
Academic Credit: With 120+ contact hours, clear learning objectives and a final project, this program is specifically designed to fit practical and ‘work integrated learning’ (WIL) courses to suit your academic needs. CISaustralia will work with you, your University Careers Office and academic staff within your faculty to try and secure academic credit for this program towards your degree.
Note: The below schedule is a sample only and provides an example of business visits that have been arranged in the past. The itinerary will change from year-to-year and participants will receive a copy of the final itinerary for their program during orientation.
This program includes a total of 120 contact hours, including the Self-Brand pre-program workshop and the 3 weeks in New York City.
PRE-PROGRAM WORKSHOPS: SELF BRAND (20 hours)
Students will work on their self-brand and understand why that is important to them. The communication tools students gain from the online sessions will help them to solve the challenges students will be presented with each day on the program. The outcome of the online sessions will be to better understand the importance of self-brand, the modern work place environments and gain an introduction to different industries.
WEEK 1: STORYTELLING FOR BRANDS
Spend the week getting acquainted with New York City and your group. Meet your first client and learn to develop a story and implementation plan that best represents their brand. Have the opportunity to pitch your idea with your group to the client. All this while enjoying the sights and visiting dynamic companies to see marketing in action in a range of industries.
- Sunday: Arrivals, Orientation, Welcome dinner
- Monday: Program orientation, Professional development workshop, Project work, City night bus tour
- Tuesday: Meet your first client, Project work
- Wednesday: Project work, Business visit
- Thursday: Project work, Business visit
- Friday: First Pitch Day
- Saturday: Free Day
- Sunday: Free Day
WEEK 2: INFLUENCER MARKETING
Now that you are familiar with the process, you’ll be diving right into the second project and learning all about influencer marketing. This is a hot marketing trend that is key to marketing strategies for any company looking to stay on the cutting edge. You and your group will be developing your own influencer marketing strategy and implementation plan for your second client, learning all the key components along the way.
- Monday: Project work, Business visit, Networking event
- Tuesday: Project work, Business visit
- Wednesday: Project work, Empire State Building excursion
- Thursday: Visit Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty, Fireworks at Coney Island
- Friday: Second Pitch Day, Go behind the scenes of The Ride
- Saturday: Free Day
- Sunday: Free Day
WEEK 3: SOCIAL FIRST CAMPAIGNS
For your final week in NYC, use all that you’ve learned so far in working with your last client in helping them to develop a social first campaign for a specific product.
- Monday: Project work, Business visit, Brooklyn Bridge excursion
- Tuesday: Project work, Networking event
- Wednesday: Project work, Business visit
- Thursday: Project work, Wall Street excursion
- Friday: Final Pitch Day, Farewell dinner
- Saturday: Free Day
- Saturday: Departure
Business visits on previous programs have included Buzzfeed, DKNY, Seigl + Gale, The Ride, Wagamama, Alley and Social Chain.
Please note: This draft itinerary is presented to give participants an idea of program flow and sample business visits. Due to factors out of our control, business visits may be cancelled at the last moment. Factors such as individual presenter’s health or weather could impact the day to day schedule and visits. While business visits have been secured, each participant should remain flexible and appreciate these considerations.
In true digital-age fashion, you will be joined remotely by an industry mentor who will provide in-depth coaching on the 3 core concepts. The program’s On-site Program Coordinator (OPC) will also be with you throughout your program to ensure that you have a successful experience. The OPC will help facilitate workshops and project time, and will guide you through the daily itineraries in your new host city. The OPC will be with you every step of the way!
Each week you will have an introductory session to explain the challenge and learn best practices, industry insights and techniques to prepare you for the client meeting and project. Then you and your group will have a meeting each day for guided workshops and project facilitation to ensure that your pitch deck and presentation is ready to go!
Neil Finnie, Course Facilitator
An experienced entrepreneur currently working in the area of training and start-ups. Neil has launched businesses in a range of diverse industries from construction to tourism in the UK, France and Japan. As founder of Corkscrew, a training provider with a twist, Neil has been creating unique environments and programs to develop key professional skills in students for more than six years, including running workshops for MBA and MSc students. He has extensive experience in developing early stage businesses with strengths ranging from Brand Storytelling to Social Media strategy. Neil also works closely with the business school at Exeter University in the UK and IHM Business School in Stockholm Sweden.
Lily Grant, On-site Program Coordinator
Originally from Northampton, Massachusetts, Lily attended UMass Amherst where she graduated with a Bachelor’s degree in Communications. After graduating she took part in a three-month marketing internship in Hanoi, Vietnam. This led her to stay in Southeast Asia for three years where she worked as an ESL Teacher, Copywriter and Voice-Over Actor in Hanoi. She also took this time to travel extensively throughout Southeast Asia, as well as spent six months in New Zealand.
Lily believes travel is the best way to understand ourselves and the world around us, and is passionate about the power it has to change perspectives and lives. Having first-hand experience as an intern abroad, she is excited to help others have a meaningful and empowering experience in New York City. Aside from travel, Lily enjoys cinema, photography, going to comedy and music events, and rooftop lounging in the nice weather.
Begin your Industry Immersion Program with an orientation and a welcome dinner at Times Square! Students enrolled in the IIP-NYC marketing and entrepreneurship program will have the opportunity to visit some of the iconic sites around the city.
- City Night Bus Tour – Explore the famous New York City at night on a single or double decker bus. Taking you to all the iconic sights in the city, you are free to hop on and hop off at your leisure.
- Empire State Building – More than just a spectacular view, the Empire State Building is truly an immersive experience inside a world-famous landmark. Soar to the observation decks on the 86th and 102nd floors for unforgettable 360° views of New York City and beyond, and watch the sun set over the city that never sleeps to take in the unobstructed and magnificent skyline!
- Statue of Liberty – Built in 1865 by a Frenchman, the Statue of Liberty is still recognised as a symbol of opportunity and freedom to many. Take a ferry to and from Ellis Island, Liberty Island and catch a glimpse of the city and New York Harbor from Lady Liberty’s crown.
- Brooklyn Bridge – An architectural marvel and a magnificent example of urban design, the world’s first steel suspension bridge connecting Brooklyn and Manhattan stands tall and never fails to offer pedestrians spectacular views of lower Manhattan, the East River and the ever-developing Brooklyn waterfront.
- Visit to the Famous Wall Street – Explore the history of the American economy. Learn about the 400 years of history that led to modern Wall Street. See where high-agenda meetings take place, where billion-dollar deals are negotiated and where the fate of the American economy lies. Get a glimpse of where the leaders of industry and Wall Street’s “masters of the universe” live and work and be inspired by the entrepreneurial spirit of once immigrants who built some of the largest financial institutions there are in the world today.
New York City is truly the city that never sleeps. From incredible art galleries and museums, Time Square, Broadway, amazing architecture, hole in the wall clubs and a thriving music and arts scene, and some of the world’s best restaurants, New York has something to offer every student and traveller. Experience modern styles blended with historical beauty, taste amazing food and live in one of the most vibrant cities in the world! Life in The Big Apple is fast-paced, charming and steeped in culture. Students will find limitless activities to do and sites to see while living and studying in the largest metropolitan city in the United States.
People around the world are familiar with iconic NYC sites such as:
- The Statue of Liberty – A colossal neoclassical sculpture on Liberty Island in New York Harbor
- Empire State Building – A 102-story skyscraper located on Fifth Avenue between 33rd and 34th Streets in Midtown, Manhattan
- Central Park – An urban park in Manhattan
- The MET – The Metropolitan Opera House located on Broadway at Lincoln Square on the Upper West Side
- Grand Central Station – A commuter, rapid transit railroad terminal at 42nd Street and Park Avenue in Midtown
- Time Square – A major commercial intersection, tourist destination, entertainment centre and neighbourhood in Midtown
- Broadway – Various theatrical performances presented in the Theater District and Lincoln Center along Broadway
- China Town Markets – One of the oldest and most culturally diverse neighbourhoods on the island, the China Town Markets are sure to lure you with its colourful and idiosyncratic street life. Catch a whiff of fresh fish and duck roasts swinging in store windows, hear the clacking of mahjong tiles and shop for anything from paper lanterns to watches, to tire irons and a pound of freshly ground spices!
Accommodation is provided for the length of your program at the well-known YMCA – on Manhattan Island in the heart of NYC.
The west side ‘Y’ is located mere steps away from Central Park and down the street from Columbus Circle and the Lincoln Center, which is home to the Metropolitan Opera, Jazz at Lincoln Center, the New York City Ballet, and the New York Philharmonic. Situated in a lively and friendly neighbourhood, the Upper West Side is filled with boutiques, trendy bars, live music venues, high-end retail stores and easy access to subways and transportation (Times Square is a short 10-15 minute subway ride away!). The Y is in the perfect location to experience and explore New York City!
Participants will enjoy clean, air-conditioned rooms, 24-hour security, housekeeping service and free Wi-Fi, plus amenities that include two swimming pools, a large, well-equipped fitness facility, snack cafe and cosy lounge.
There are no cooking or laundry facilities at the Y, however, there are thousands of restaurants to choose from in Manhattan alone with hundreds within a short walk. The nearest laundry mat is only three blocks away.
For this program, there are three housing options. Availability will be discussed and confirmed by your Program Advisor:
- Shared bunk room – small, basic room with two single beds, shared bathroom down the hall
- Single room – small, basic private bedroom, shared bathroom down the hall
- Single room – small, basic private bedroom, private bathroom en suite
Each room includes:
- Lift/elevator access
- Free Wi-Fi
- Heating and air-conditioning
- One desk, able to sit one person
- Bathroom access (shared or private, depending on room type chosen)
Amenities at the YMCA:
- Fully-equipped gym and fitness facility (including machines, weights, cardio equipment, squash courts, basketball courts, running track, and two swimming pools)
- Group exercise classes
- Gourmet cafe (snacks, coffee, tea, and breakfast and lunch options)
- Lounge area (a great place to sit back and relax or study)
Centrally located, the Y is easily accessible (59th Street transit hub) by a plethora of subway lines that can take you all over the city. Tourist destinations like Broadway, Times Square and the Rockefeller Center are short journeys away. If you prefer to walk, Central Park is steps away and you can stroll, bike or jog through the Park to get to other places in the city.
The Y is occupied by visitors to the city and also local families. We expect students to respect all occupants in these apartments and the local community by keeping noise levels down and following local apartment and community policies – living in an environment of mutual respect.
Accommodation in Manhattan and New York City in general is in high demand. The Y is ideal for our students because it offers basic, clean rooms and bathrooms, has 24-hour security, and is located in a safe, central neighbourhood. Because housing is in such demand and the program is located in the heart of the city, space is hard to come by, and the rooms at the Y are likely to be smaller than what students are used to in Australia. The Y is conveniently located to provide students with easy access to the Big Apple and all it has to offer, meaning students will spend most of their time out of the Y and on the streets of New York!
An added bonus to your CISaustralia internship is that many universities in Australia will recognise your internship and grant you academic credit. Many progressive universities recognise high-quality internships as part of an elective course, a practical experience element of your degree studies and/or a Work Integrated Learning (WIL) course.
If you are interested in gaining academic credit for your internship towards your degree at your university in Australia, you should apply for pre-approved academic credit at your home university. Contact your International Office, Academic Advisor/Head of Department or Careers Office to see if this option is available.
CISaustralia will work with you, your university’s Careers Office and academic staff within your faculty to try and secure academic credit for this program towards your degree.
CISaustralia can provide a certificate of participation for every placement. Please contact us for more information.
Program Fee & Dates
|Application Deadline||03 November 2019|
|Arrival Date||12 January 2020|
|Departure Date||02 February 2020|
|Program Fee||A$ 6,499 - 9,499|
|Application Deadline||12 April 2020|
|Arrival Date||21 June 2020|
|Departure Date||12 July 2020|
|Program Fee||A$ 6,499 - 9,499|
Program fees include the following:
- Industry Immersion Internship placement and supervision (120 hours)
- Pre-Program Online Workshops (20 hours)
- CISaustralia support services before, during and after the program
- Financial advice
- Assistance with travel arrangements
- Accident and medical insurance (unless provided by your home university)
- Public Liability Insurance
- Pre-departure guide and session
- Airport pick-up (on specified program arrival date within designated arrival times)
- Accommodation – shared or single room
- On-site orientation
- Welcome and farewell dinners
- Business visits
- Networking events
- Cultural excursions – City Night Bus Tour, Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty, Wall Street, Empire State Building, Brooklyn Bridge
- CISaustralia 24/7 on-site support – Site Director
- CISaustralia Certificate of Completion
What is not included:
- Travel insurance
- Visa fees
- Vaccinations (if required)
- Meals (unless mentioned above)
- Extra travel/excursions (other than those mentioned above)
Dates are for reference only and are subject to change. Please do not book flights until you have received the confirmed dates in your acceptance paperwork.
CISaustralia reserves the right to alter fees at any time due to currency fluctuations and/or fee changes made by our partners.
Is this an Internship?
This program is not a traditional internship where you work with one company for your whole experience; this is a new cutting edge approach to work integrated learning. CISaustralia Industry Immersion Programs are multi-faceted, more intensive internship experiences that includes a range of different company visits, significant networking opportunities, has key academic themes, includes a range of training workshops and students work within exciting cooperative work spaces. In this internship experience, you will also be exposed to and will work with 3 different companies (one per week) with your program cohort. You will engage in strategic planning for these 3 companies as you go through different learning objectives and will be exposed to invaluable real-world experiences.
Can I get academic credit for this program?
With 120+ contact hours, clear learning objectives and weekly pitches, this program is designed to fit your academic needs. An added bonus to your CISaustralia internship is that many universities in Australia will recognise your internship and grant you academic credit. Many progressive universities recognise high-quality internships as part of an elective course, a practical experience element of your degree studies and/or a Work Integrated Learning (WIL) course. See the Academic Credit section for more information.
Can I put this on my resume?
Yes, this is an impactful work experience. Unlike a traditional internship where you are working with one company for a longer period of time, Industry Immersion provides you with the opportunity to engage with 3 real-world companies on 3 different challenges. Through each challenge you will work with industry leaders and peers to develop real solutions.
Will this help me get a job?
Absolutely! Read more about the significant benefits of engaging in an internship abroad.
Is there a maximum capacity of participants on this program?
Yes, there is a cap on this program. This is an exclusive program built for senior undergraduates, recent graduates and postgraduate students in mind. Places are secured on a first-come, first-served basis – so get your application in early to secure your spot on this innovative and exciting program!
Will all participants be from Australia?
Participants attending this program will come from diverse backgrounds across Australia. You may also be learning alongside US and other international students. (US and international student enrolments vary year to year). This offers a great opportunity to engage in cross-cultural experiences, meet other students from around the world and expand your network!
How do I apply?
You can submit an application online. The application is easy, takes less than 5 minutes and IIP participants are exempt from the $95 intern application fee.
Do I need a visa?
Depending on your citizenship and program location, you may require a visa or a visa waiver. Upon application, your Program Advisor will counsel you on your visa requirements and application process.
How much is the program?
See the Program Fee & Dates section for program cost and inclusions.
Can I get funding for this program?
Many students participating in Industry Immersion Programs will be eligible to receive funding. CISaustralia encourages all Australian university students to learn more about OS-HELP. You can also check with the Study Abroad or Mobility office at your university to discuss university specific scholarships or funding options.
When does the program start?
See the Program Fee & Dates section on this page to identify potential program dates.
How do I prepare for the program?
CISaustralia will be with you every step of the way and will ensure that you are prepared for your exciting experience abroad. Preparation materials include:
- Are you Prepared to Intern Abroad Document
- Program Essentials Document
- Pre-program Workshop Modules
- Pre-departure Guide and Webinar
What excursions are included? Do I get free time to explore on my own?
See the Excursions section for more information on what activities are included in the program. You will be free to explore your surroundings most evenings and weekends.
Can I continue my travels after my program?
Yes, many students take advantage of their time abroad and plan additional travel before or after their program. Ensure that you discuss with your Program Advisor any additional travel plans, so they can counsel you on visa implications.
When is the schedule finalised?
See the Sample Itinerary section for a draft schedule. This Industry Immersion Program will provide invaluable experience working with real-world businesses that are facing real-world challenges. You will receive itinerary updates as the program progresses and nears departure. A final itinerary will be provided just prior to departure, but note that due to the nature of this program, some itinerary elements such as business visits are subject to last-minute changes. Business visits may change year on year and are subject to availability and a range of other factors.