Calling all Sporty Spices – we need your love of sports, passion for fitness and wicked high kicks. Okay, high kicks aren’t a prerequisite but they’re impressive all the same. In 1994, the South African Government removed Physical Education (PE) from school curriculums. Not surprisingly, this lead to a decline in students' involvement in day-to-day physical activity.
Volunteers are needed to fill the role of community sports coaches in Cape Town, where sports coaching and PE teachers are desperately needed.
For most people, Australians in particular, it is easy to understand that sport is an integral part of youth development. Countless studies have proven that it helps increase concentration and develop crucial skills such as leadership, teamwork and communication. Being active outdoors not only feels great, but it provides outstanding holistic health and fitness benefits – all validated by science.
However, without intervention and the help of volunteers such as yourself, these PE programs wouldn’t be available to the children of the Cape Town townships. Additional extra-curricular programs have been created to provide troubled youth with a means to get off the street and involved in physical activity.
- Project Activities: Taking PE lessons with kids, bringing fresh ideas and stimulation to activities
- Project Availability: Projects starts every second Monday that school is in session. Contact CISaustralia for program dates. Projects close early December every year.
- Project Duration: 2-24 weeks. Contact CISaustralia for availability.
- Working Hours: Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 4:30pm
- Location: Cape Town, South Africa
- Excursions: Get up close and personal with the Big 5 on safari, float over ancient mountains in a hot air balloon, surf down the face of massive sand dunes in the desert, canoe through impressive gorges and valleys, dive with sharks off the coast, or take time to wine, dine, shop and relax – you can do it all in South Africa. These activities should be undertaken outside of working hours (at own expense). Our on-site staff can assist in providing advice.
- Support: 24-hour on-site support from our Project Leaders and Continent Site Director
- A valid Police Check or Working With Children Check is required
- Minimum Age: 18+
- Language: English